Monday, December 13, 2010

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I just made this today and it is wonderful! (12/13/2010) Karl even loves it, and
he hasn’t liked the Broccoli Cheddar soups I’ve tried making in the past.













Best Broccoli Cheddar Soup
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped (or 3 T dried mincd onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half (I used combo of whole milk & whipping cream)
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned (I had none but used 1 c each of cauliflower & red potatoes)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar

Directions:
The original directions were lengthier, and I had limited time, so
I just dumped everything but the butter and cheese in my blender and
blended it pretty well. I put the butter in a large pot and melted it, then
dumped the blender contents in and simmered for 15 minutes, adding
the cheese in at the end to melt, stirring constantly.

The soup thickened up really nicely when I let it simmer, and the flavor
of the nutmeg is a great balancing addition to Broccoli Cheddar soup!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Adam Omelianchuk said...

It takes 1 tablespoon melted butter and a 1/4 cup melted butter? Do you melt them at different steps? Sounds good!

Maren said...

Yes, very important.

Well, actually, the recipe called to sautee the onions with the butter, but since everything got dumped in the blender, I didn't need it. Do whatever you want with the extra tablespoon of butter, Adam.