We use jam at our house on a daily basis, and I've found it's actually quite painless to make a batch of jam when I have just a few ingredients on hand. I always thought it was a big production and I needed lots of supplies, but I found otherwise when I decided to try it on a whim. We now love our homemade jam on any breaded item, and I just found that mixing a teaspoon into my plain yogurt is a great change from the plain taste! With this recipe, you can use any kind of fruit that is in season or that you have around the house, frozen or fresh.
My favorite Simple Rhubarb Strawberry Jam recipe:
Ingredients:
4 cups sliced rhubarb (approximate)
4 cups fresh or frozen sliced strawberries (approximate)
1-2 cups sugar (approximate, and feel free to experiment with other sweetening agents)
2 packages "no sugar needed" pectin
Canning jars, lids, and rings
Wide-mouthed funnel
Instructions:
1. Sterilize your canning jars, lids, and rings. I like to put them in the big pot I will be eventually processing the filled jam jars in to eliminate another pot of water. I put all the jars in a pot full of water on high heat until the water boils. Then I take the jars out with some tongs and set them on a wooden cutting board on the countertop. I put the lids and rings in a pot of simmering water until they're needed. Leave the water in the pot and keep the lid on so it's near boiling while you work on the jam and filling the jars.
2. Make the jam! While the jars are sterilizing in the pot, throw the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and pectin in another large pot and bring it to a boil, letting it boil for 2 minutes. Then, mash the fruit into your desired consistency for jam. Turn off the heat.
3. Fill the jars! Using a sterilized jar with a funnel fit into it, pour some prepared jam to 1/4 inch from the top of the canning jar, making sure to keep the edges of the jar free of jam. I use a paper towel to wipe any drips. Take a lid and ring out of the simmering water, dry it off with a clean towel, and securely place onto the jar, tightening as much as you can. Do the same with the rest of your jars.
4. Seal the jars! Carefully put the filled jars in your big pot of near-boiling water. Put the lid back on and turn the heat up higher to boil the water. Once the water boils, set a timer for 10 minutes. Once the timer goes off, turn off the water and remove the jars back onto the wooden cutting board (or a towel). Once you hear the jars "pop", they've sealed. Let them sit on the countertop for a day while the jam cools and sets. That's it!
No comments:
Post a Comment