Monday, May 17, 2010

Peanut Butter

I thought I would share a simple revelation with you about Peanut Butter!:

A few days ago we ran out of peanut butter, but I saw that we had a whole
container of roasted, unsalted peanuts in our cupboard. (I’d tried making my
own peanut butter one time to no avail, but I thought I would try again and see
what happened.)

I threw the entire container of peanuts into our food processor and turned it
on. After about 5 minutes, I had the smoothest, creamiest peanut butter I’d
ever seen! Awesome! I refilled our empty store-bought peanut butter container
with the freshly ground peanut butter and went on with my day. Simple!

I suppose you could replace the peanuts with other roasted nuts (almonds,
cashews, etc.) to make other nut butters this same way. You could also add
honey or salt for more flavor, too.

A note on cost: We get our roasted unsalted peanuts currently from Aldi
for $1.99/container. Previously, we’d been buying containers of plain peanut
butter (the only ingredient being peanuts) from Trader Joe’s for $1.79/container.
I’m thinking of ordering 30 pounds of peanuts from a bulk supplier and storing
them in an airtight container so that we have them on hand and to save
considerable amounts of money rather than paying more to make our own
peanut butter.

No comments: