Thursday, September 01, 2011

Gluten Free Granola

I have been meaning to figure out something to put on top of our yogurt for a while now that we've cut oats out of our diet due to my supposed allergy to it. I ordered some Quinoa flakes a while ago and we tried it as oatmeal only to find that we were all disappointed by the "differently interesting" flavor. I set the Quinoa flakes aside for a while, not wanting to deal with them. Well, recently I decided to give them a try again, hoping that if I masked the flavor with other stronger flavors, we would be able to eat them (or at least make use of them). I came up with this recipe for Gluten Free Granola, and thankfully it worked!! No strange "Quinoa" flavor, just yummy crispy granola to top our yogurt with!
 
Gluten Free Granola

Dry Ingredients:
3 c Quinoa flakes
2-3 c chopped nuts (almonds, pecans)
1 c sunflower seed meats (or other seeds)
3/4 c sesame seeds
3/4 c brown sugar (or honey)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
Optional: chopped dried fruits

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 c applesauce or apple butter
1/2 c honey
2 tbsp oil or butter
1 egg, well-beaten
1/4 c apple cider

View full recipeSet racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat to 275F.
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Pour wet over dry ingredients and mix until evenly moist.
Spread mixture evenly over two rimmed baking sheets lined with foil for easy cleanup. Bake 1 hour or longer until granola starts to crisp and is evenly golden brown. Rotate pans half way through and stir/flip granola every 20 minutes to help cook evenly.
When it’s ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. The finished granola may still feel slightly soft as it comes out of the oven but it will crisp as it cools.
Add chopped fruit if desired and store in an airtight bag or container.

1 comment:

The Harings said...

Thank you for posting, I can't wait to try this sometime. Could you tell us where you buy Quinoa Flakes? I have only heard of Quinoa they look like the little white seeds that you cook up like rice...is this what you used or do you actually use flakes?